Facial fillers can be differentiated by their form and function. There are several factors that can affect the look and function of facial fillers. These include the type of filler used, where it’s injected, how much is injected, and how well it integrates with the skin tissue1
First Consider the Performance when Still and Moving the facial Muscles
- Firmness: This refers to how much the filler holds its shape after it’s injected. Some fillers are firmer than others and can be used to create more structure in the face.
- Bounce: Bounciness of a filler refers to how much the filler moves when you touch it. Some fillers are more bouncy than others and can be used to create a more natural look.
- Longevity: This refers to how long the filler lasts before it breaks down and is absorbed by your body. The longevity of fillers can vary depending on the type of filler used and where it’s injected12.
- Distensibility: Distensibility and bounce are two different characteristics of facial fillers. Distensibility refers to how much the filler can stretch without breaking. Bounce refers to how much the filler moves when you touch it
Water retention and tissue integration
- Water Retention: Facial fillers are substances injected into the skin to smooth wrinkles and make them less noticeable. Hyaluronic acid fillers are a type of temporary dermal fillers designed to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. When hyaluronic acid fillers are injected into the skin, they attract more water and can hold up to 1,000 times their weight in water1.The longevity of fillers can vary depending on the type of filler used and where it’s injected12. The water held by the filler will be absorbed by your body over time as the filler breaks down1
- Integration: Integration with skin tissue refers to how well the filler is accepted by the body and how well it blends in with the surrounding tissue. The more integrated the filler is with the skin tissue, the more natural it will look.
- Biostimulatory: Not all fillers are biostimulating. Biostimulatory fillers stimulate the production of collagen, creating a gradual improvement on volume and even skin quality